It's December. Christmas carols are playing everywhere, and left right and center someone is selling or buying gifts and festive items. Whether your're giving or getting, or just enjoying the season and company with friends and family, we just want to remind everyone of a few common concerns we see more issues with around this time of year.
Poinsettias are a common gift and decoration, with beautiful shades of red and green. If you know your pet likes to nibble or munch on these though, take precautions to ensure they are kept away from curious tastebuds. While not expected to be toxic and life threatening, they are known to cause gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Christmas tree ornaments/decorations are lovely hanging from trees, glinting under the lights. Shiny, dangling objects? Sounds like playtime to many animals! Take precautions to avoid having your pets swatting at and playing with or eating Christmas ornaments and toys. Ingesting whole or shattered objects can cause serious issues. Ingesting pine needles and holly can also cause potential irritation and trauma as they can be quite sharp! Tinsel and garland is a big caution as well. Ingestion of objects and string can cause vomiting and obstructions which can be life threatening in many cases. Also, watch those electrical cords if your pet likes to nibble on those as well!
Christmas Dinner, Turkey Drippings and more! Who doesn't love a good turkey and Christmas gluttony? As tempting as it may be to slip some delicious goodness to your pets, we recommend avoiding doing so. Many ingredients such as onions are toxic to our pets and should be avoided. Some animals are sensitive to new or fatty foods, and can have develop vomiting, diarrhea, or pancreatitis from ingesting them as tasty as they may be.
Enjoy the holiday season, and keep a watch on what your furry friends are eating! For a longer list of possible toxicities, see our previous post here, or call your veterinarian if you are at all concerned.
Merry Christmas Everyone!