After a little preview in September, winter seems like it’s finally here to stay, along with the snow, ice, and freezing temperatures. Here are a few things to remember this winter to keep your pets safe!
Antifreeze – while you’re winterizing your car, changing to winter tires, and replacing your windshield washer, keep in mind that antifreeze/windshield washer is toxic when ingested. Anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) is sweet tasting, and quickly attracts dogs. Unfortunately when ingested, it causes acute kidney failure and can result in death if not treated promptly. Make sure that any spilt fluids are cleaned up thoroughly, and that unused fluids are stored securely.
Salt – salting your driveway and sidewalk helps to melt snow and prevent ice buildup. Keep in mind that many salts can be irritating to our pets paws and cause dryness, cracking, and in some cases chemical burns. When ingested (either directly or while cleaning/licking their paws), some salts may result in gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, or diarrhea. Consider using pet friendly salts, or using sand instead. If tolerated, boots can help to protect your pets paws as well.
Ice – presents many hazards to both us and our pets, with slippage being a major concern. My dog LOVES chasing rabbits, but sprinting on ice also creates a recipe for injury. Also, ice can often be quite sharp at times and can lead to cuts and abrasions easily. Use your discretion to determine when to safely allow your pet to let loose.